Some girls are happy to get flowers — I get psyched about a good watermelon. If I have my druthers, it's a sugar baby watermelon, but I'm not trying to be high maintenance here.
There is nothing more summery to me than getting a roadside stand watermelon, cutting it open and being able to smell it from across the house. So my advice is, while you actually have access to fantastic in-season watermelon, buy as many as you can and eat them daily!
Try this Watermelon-Jalapeño Feta Salad. It's sweet, acidic, salty and crisp all in one dish. It's hydrating, full of fiber … and there's cheese! It's just about perfect.
- ¼ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 cups watermelon, cubed
- 2 tablespoons red onion, cut into small sliced rings
- 3 basil leaves, torn
- 1 teaspoon jalapeño pepper, sliced
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons honey or brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- To make the dressing, add dressing ingredients to a cup or bowl and whisk vigorously (or mix using an immersion blender). Add a layer of dressing to serving plate.
- And cubed watermelon, onion, feta, basil and jalapeño.
- Add more dressing if desired. Serves 2.