You’ll be amazed by how easy it is to make your own granola at home. It’s a fun baking activity to do with kids and the best part is you can get creative with the ingredients and flavors. You can go seasonal — like pumpkin spice in the fall — or just use ingredients that are tasty year-round — like what you’ll find in my recipe below.
This recipe derives natural sweetness from frozen banana and just a touch of honey, warm flavor that comes from vanilla and cinnamon, and savory crunch from seeds and nuts. The good news is when you make your own granola, you simply can’t mess it up! Just think what fruits, nuts, seeds and spices sound good to you and go for it.
Granola is not just for breakfast, either. Here are a few other ways I love to enjoy homemade granola:
- Yogurt parfaits Added to smoothies for texture and crunch
- As a topping for baked fruit desserts
- Frozen banana treats (spread a tablespoon of nut butter on a banana, roll in granola and freeze)
Homemade Banana-Nut Granola
Recipe by Rebecca Scritchfield, MA, RD, LD
Makes 8 servings (1/2 cup each)
1 ripe fresh or frozen banana
3/4 cup water
1 Tbsp. honey or pure maple syrup
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. sea salt (optional – if nuts are salted, you may not need)
2 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped*
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds*
1/4 cup almond slivers*
1/4 cup peanuts*
2/3 cup dried fruit – any combo
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, or use a non-stick baking sheet.
- In a blender or food processor, add the banana, water, honey (or pure maple syrup), cinnamon, vanilla and optional salt. Blend or process until the mixture is smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine the banana mixture, oats, nuts and dried fruit. Stir until all the dry ingredients are completely covered in the banana mixture.
- Pour out the mixture in a single layer on the baking sheet. Bake for 40 minutes, checking every 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to break up any big pieces. You’ll know it’s done when the oats begin to brown slightly.
- Remove from the oven to cool.
* You may substitute any or all of the recommended nuts with 1 cup of any nut/seed blend of your choice.
Fat: 11g; Saturated fat: 2g
Carbohydrates: 35g; Sugar: 12g
Sodium: 53mg; Protein: 9g