After a long day of work or play, it’s sometimes hard to get excited about cooking and putting food on the table. Before you hop into your car for takeout, try this easy recipe for Tuna Steak Sandwiches instead. They’re made with quick-cooking tuna steak and a savory glaze made with honey and spicy sriaracha then topped with a cool, refreshing cilantro mayonnaise.
The first step in making these delicious sandwiches involves preparing the glaze. It sounds fancy, but this glaze is incredibly easy to make. Simply combine honey, soy sauce and sriracha in a sauce pot and simmer for a few minutes. Cooking tuna is also a breeze as it’s a forgiving, firm fish. One trick: Pat the fish dry to prevent it from sticking to the pan. A quick sear and brief cooking time of about 8-10 minutes is all it needs.
Not only does this dish come together quickly, but it’s also nutritious. Tuna is a delicious fish that is a good source of healthy fats and protein as well as calcium, iron, B vitamins and vitamin D. Using a whole-wheat bun instead of a regular white bun adds an additional nutrition boost by providing fiber and whole grains. The cilantro mayo is “lightened-up” by combining olive oil-based mayonnaise with low-fat Greek yogurt to cut calories and add flavor.
Food Safety Tip: It’s important to wash hands and work surfaces after working with raw fish to avoid any potential cross-contamination. Also, be sure to keep uncooked fish away from freshly cut vegetables and other ready-to-eat foods. It’s smart to have color-coded cutting boards at home – one for raw seafood, meat, poultry and another for vegetables, grains and other ready-to-eat items.
Tuna Steak Sandwiches with Honey Sriracha Glaze and Cilantro Mayo
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons sriracha hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4, 4-ounce tuna steaks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil based mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted and split in half
- Optional Garnishes: sliced radishes, sliced green onions, cilantro leaves and shredded carrot
- To make the glaze: Combine the honey, sriracha and soy sauce in a small sauce pot over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and stir and cook until mixture is thick and syrupy, about 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- To cook the tuna: Set a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the oil to the pan and once hot, add the tuna. Cook for 4-5 minutes, then flip. Cook 3 minutes, then brush tops with the glaze. Continue cooking an additional 1-2 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 145°F.
- To make the cilantro mayonnaise: In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, yogurt, cilantro and lime juice. Whisk together and chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- To prepare the sandwich: Place the cooked tuna on the bottom half of each bun. Spread 1 tablespoon of the cilantro mayo on the tuna then garnish with sliced radish, green onion, cilantro and shredded carrot. Top with other half of hamburger bun and serve.