This entree is a delicious and nutritious Asian-style dinner that’s sweet and spicy, while lower in sugars and sodium than similar dishes.
This sponsored recipe is brought by Uncle Ben’s as part of Food & Nutrition‘s Recipe Roundup program. Click for more recipes.
Recipe by Madeline Basler MS, RDN, CDN
- 1 ½ cups canned pineapple tidbits (in own juice)
- ½ tablespoon (5 milliliters) canola oil
- 1 cup chopped celery
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- ¼ cup chopped yellow or red pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger, divided
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic, divided
- 1 cup Uncle Bens Converted Rice
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red crushed pepper
- 10 ounces (285 milliliters) water
- 4 ounces (114 milliliters) low-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- non-stick cooking spray
- 4 5-ounce chicken cutlets
- 2 tablespoons (34 milliliters) low sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup all natural apricot preserves
- 2 cups Asian Style frozen vegetable blend (steam in the bag)
- 1 tablespoon chopped scallions
Separate canned pineapple tidbits from juice using a strainer over a small bowl. Reserve both and set aside. In a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat, add canola oil with celery, onion, pepper, 1 tablespoon of ginger and 1 teaspoon of garlic. Saute for 3-4 minutes until soft and translucent. Add rice and continue to sauté for 2-3 minutes until slightly browned. Add ½ cup of pineapple juice, water and chicken broth, black and crushed red peppers. Cover, bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook for about 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. While rice is cooking, spray an 11-inch saute pan with non-stick cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Add chicken to the pan. Add remaining garlic and ginger in the center of the pan and cook with chicken for 4-5 minutes on each side until browned, making sure the garlic and ginger do not burn.
While chicken is cooking, in a mixing bowl, whisk the remainder of the pineapple juice, soy sauce and preserves, add the tidbits and pour mixture into saute pan with chicken. Bring to a boil; reduce to simmer and cook an additional 5 minutes or until cooked through and sauce reduces and thickens a bit. Steam vegetables in the microwave, drain and add to saute pan, heating through and mixing with sauce. Sprinkle with scallions and serve with rice. Serves 4.
Serving Size: 1 cup rice, 1 chicken cutlet and 3/4 cup vegetables with sauce
CALORIES 512; TOTAL FAT 6g; SAT. FAT 1g; CHOL. 79 mg; SODIUM 599mg; CARB. 73g; FIBER 4g; SUGARS 24g; PROTEIN 38g