A healthier version of a southwest classic somewhere between a taco and a chili with whole grain rice and quinoa. A quick simple weeknight dinner, both nutritious and delicious.
This sponsored recipe is brought by Uncle Ben’s as part of Food & Nutrition‘s Recipe Roundup program. Click for more recipes.
Recipe by Madeline Basler MS, RDN, CDN
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 1 (16 ounce) package 98% fat free ground chicken
- ½ cup (100 milliliters) of water
- 1 cup Roma tomatoes (2 small-medium), chopped
- 1-15 ounce can 1 ¼ cups unsalted black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1-8.5 ounce pouch Uncle Bens Ready Whole Grain Medley Quinoa & Brown Rice with Garlic
- ½ cup Four Cheese Mexican Blend reduced fat cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
Chop onion and sauté in a non stick 11 inch saute pan coated with cooking spray over medium heat, for 2-3 minutes until translucent and lightly browned. Add ground chicken and sauté until cooked through approximately 5 minutes until browned. Add water, tomatoes, black beans, corn and spices. Cook for 5 minutes more. Microwave the rice for 90 seconds and add to sauté pan. Top with cheese and simmer until melted. Garnish with cilantro. Serve over lettuce with desired garnishes: blue corn tortilla chips, avocado, tomatoes, and cilantro. Serves 4.
Serving Size: About 1 cup.
CALORIES 385; TOTAL FAT 15g; SAT. FAT 2g; CHOL. 55mg; SODIUM 541mg; CARB. 38g; FIBER 8g; SUGARS 1g; PROTEIN 28g