Salsa, rice and beans, oh my! Look no further for a deliciously filling vegetarian meal that the whole family will love.
This sponsored recipe is brought by Uncle Ben’s as part of Food & Nutrition‘s Recipe Roundup program. Click for more recipes.
Recipe by Alexandra Caspero MA, RD
- 4 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
Rice and Beans Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped red bell peppers
- 1 (15 ounce) no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) no-salt-added kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup thawed frozen corn, no-salt-added
- 1 jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 pouches Uncle Ben’s Whole Grain Medley Brown Rice and Quinoa
- ½ cup light sour cream
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) fresh lime juice
In a medium bowl, stir together all ingredients for the salsa; set aside. In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the red bell peppers and cook, stirring often, until softened. Stir in the beans, corn and jalapeno pepper. Cook and stir 4-5 minutes or until hot. Meanwhile, heat rice as directed on package. Stir rice into bean mixture. Continue to cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer until heated through and ingredients are combined. (Add 1-2 tablespoons water to keep rice and beans moist, if needed.) While the rice and bean mixture are cooking, whisk together the remaining lime juice and sour cream. Divide grain mixture evenly among 6 plates. Divide salsa on top and drizzle with sour cream-lime mixture. Serves 6.
Serving Size: About 1 cup
CALORIES 348; TOTAL FAT 8g; SAT. FAT 2g; CHOL. 7mg; SODIUM 536mg; CARB. 57g; FIBER 13g; SUGARS 5g; PROTEIN 13g; POTASSIUM 824mg