A healthy and hearty chili that can be served for dinner, game day or any day! Extra lean turkey, low sodium beans, unsalted tomatoes and tomato sauce keep the sodium content significantly lower than many similar chilis.
This sponsored recipe is brought by Uncle Ben’s as part of Food & Nutrition‘s Recipe Roundup program. Click for more recipes.
Recipe by Madeline Basler MS, RDN, CDN
- non-stick cooking spray
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapeno
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ¼ cup chopped carrot
- 1 package (20.8 ounces) 93% lean ground turkey
- 2 ½ cups diced zucchini (large dice)
- 2 ½ cups diced yellow squash (large dice)
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) low sodium light kidney beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) low sodium dark kidney beans, drained and rinsed well
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) no salt added diced tomatoes
- 2 8-ounce cans (416 milliliters) no salt added tomato sauce
- 1.25-ounce packet 40% less sodium taco seasoning mix
- 8-ounce bag fresh baby spinach
- 1 14-ounce box Uncle Ben’s Minute Rice (4 ¼ cups)
Spray an 8-quart stockpot with non-stick cooking spray. Over low to medium heat, saute the onion, jalapeno, garlic and carrot for 3-4 minutes until lightly brown. Add ground turkey and separate meat with spoon into small pieces; saute until browned, approximately 5-7 minutes. Add zucchini, yellow squash, beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce and taco seasoning. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Cook rice according to directions in a 4-quart saucepan. Add spinach to chili, mix and cook for another minute. Place a cup of rice into bowls, top with chili and serve with garnishes of choice. Serves 8.
Serving Size: 1 cup rice topped with 1 ½ cups chili
CALORIES 533; TOTAL FAT 7g; SAT. FAT 1g; CHOL. 32mg; SODIUM 423mg; CARB. 94g; FIBER: 11g; SUGARS 12g; PROTEIN 29g; POTASSIUM NA; PHOSPHORUS NA