Now that we’re officially past “pumpkin spice” season, I’m ready to show some love to another winter gourd, butternut squash. With a lovely hue of orange, butternut squash delivers fiber and vitamins A and C to any dish.
This Vegan Creamy “Mac and Cheese” dish is incredibly easy to make with just a few ingredients (and just as few steps!). Even though these noodles are vegan-friendly, I promise it’ll be just as creamy and delicious as any other baked noodle dish you’ve had before.
Vegan Creamy “Mac and Cheese”
- 1 pound whole-grain pasta, such as elbows or shells
- ½ cup nutritional yeast, plus more to taste
- 2 cups pureed butternut squash
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable stock
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare whole-grain pasta according to package instructions. Drain and reserve.
- In an oven-safe dish, stir together nutritional yeast, pureed butternut squash, vegetable stock and coconut milk. Gently add cooked pasta to the sauce in the dish to evenly coat the noodles.
- Bake until noodles have absorbed most of the liquid and thickened, around 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, top with additional nutritional yeast (if desired) and serve immediately.
- If you don’t want to make your own butternut squash puree, look for plain frozen or canned pureed butternut squash at the grocery store.