This tasty dish makes for the perfect healthy comfort meal. Turmeric, which is one of the main ingredients in curry, is rich in curcumin, which has been shown to have anti-carcinogenic, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial effects. Plus, this flavorful spice is inexpensive and keeps well in a pantry.
Coconut Curry with Chickpeas and Kale
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons curry powder, divided
- ½ red onion, chopped
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 medium potato, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1½ cups chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups kale, stems removed, finely chopped
- Heat olive oil and 1 tablespoon curry powder in a medium-sized pot over medium heat. Cook for 1 minute. Add chopped red onion and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and remaining 1 tablespoon curry powder. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Add salt to taste.
- Add chopped potato, water and chickpeas. Cover pot, and cook for 20 to 25 minutes, or until potatoes are cooked through.
- Stir in chopped kale and cook for another 5 minutes. Serves 4.