Make the most out of the trendy winter squash with this lightened up fettuccine Alfredo packed with nutrients. This dish can also be made vegan by swapping out the milk, cheese and butter for plant-based alternatives. If using a whole squash, reserve the seeds and roast them for a protein and iron-rich snack.
Creamy Butternut Squash Alfredo with Fettuccine Recipe
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 pound (about 4 cups) peeled, seeded and cubed butternut squash
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 pound fettuccine
- In a medium saucepan, bring the milk, water, butter and squash to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until squash is easily pierced with a fork, about 15 minutes. Let mixture cool for 5 minutes, pour into blender and blend until smooth. Alternatively, use an immersion blender. Stir in Parmesan cheese, nutmeg and salt.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions. Carefully reserve about ½ cup pasta water and drain the rest. In a large serving bowl, combine sauce and pasta, adding pasta water 1 tablespoon at a time until preferred texture is reached.
- Serve with a sprinkle of nutmeg and Parmesan cheese if desired.