Did you know that fresh cranberries have one of the highest amounts of antioxidant activity of any fruit or vegetable, falling only behind the beloved blueberry? The greatest amounts of phytochemicals are present in the skin and flesh, so it is better to eat the whole fruit than just consume cranberry juice, which is also laden with added sugar.
For a delicious way to get more cranberries into your diet, try this Cranberry Orange Bread.
Cranberry Orange Bread
Makes one loaf
- 1½ cups fresh cranberries
- 2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¾ cup freshly squeezed and strained orange juice
- ¼ cup orange rind
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray loaf pan with nonstick spray.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut butter into dry ingredients until butter is the size of small peas.
- Add orange juice, rind and egg and stir until moistened.
- Spoon into pan and bake for 55 to 60 minutes. Enjoy!