If food buzz phrases such as “no antibiotics,” “grass-fed” or “farm raised” confuse you, worry no more and consider this lentil burger recipe for your next “meatless” meal. Lentils are an excellent source of protein and fiber, one of the fastest cooking legumes and come in a variety of colors. They are aesthetically pleasing, nutritionally beneficial and their preparation is quite speedy. Don’t let the longer ingredient list intimidate you — I promise it is worth it in the end!
Makes 12 burgers
- 1 cup dried green lentils
- 2¼ cups water
- 1 teaspoon dried ground parsley
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic, divided
- 1¼ cups finely chopped white onion, divided
- ¾ cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- ½ cup roasted whole golden flaxseed
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups chopped white mushrooms
- 1½ cups chopped fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- ½ ripe avocado, sliced (optional)
- In a small pot bring lentils, water, dried parsley, 1 teaspoon minced garlic and ¼ cup onion to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for approximately 35 minutes, until water is absorbed.
- While lentils are cooking, combine walnuts, breadcrumbs and flaxseed in a medium-size mixing bowl. Add ground cumin and stir.
- Over medium-low heat sauté remaining onion, garlic, mushrooms and spinach in olive oil for 8 to 10 minutes, then set aside.
- Remove cooked lentils from the heat, add balsamic vinegar and mustard and stir. Mash with a wooden spoon to form a thick paste.
- In a large mixing bowl combine mashed lentils, sautéed vegetables and breadcrumb mixture and stir well. Cool in refrigerator for approximately 15 minutes.
- Using clean hands, form burger patties to desired size and season with salt and pepper. Place on wax paper.
- Over medium heat in an oiled pan, lightly cook patty for approximately 3 to 5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned and crisp.
- Remove from heat and place inside your choice of a bun or on top of a lettuce leaf, along with avocado or your toppings of choice.
- Prepare to be pleasantly surprised and enjoy!
Note: Leftover patties can be placed in plastic bags or wrapped in aluminum foil and frozen.