What is your go-to snack? Energy balls have been my favorite thing to make lately. They are a quick, simple way to have a tasty and nutritious snack on hand. The flavor combinations are endless and most of them require no baking — it doesn’t get any simpler than that! I include flaxseed and/or nut butter for added omega-3s, fiber and protein. Below is a recipe for an energy ball I’ve been enjoying a lot lately!
Lemon Bliss Energy Balls
Makes approximately 12 balls
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- ½ cup raw almonds
- 1 cup pitted dates
- ¼ cup whole flaxseed
- 1 whole lemon (juice & zest)
- ¾ cup shredded coconut
- In a food processor, combine oats, almonds, dates, flaxseed and lemon juice and zest. Process at a low to medium speed until ingredients are a smooth consistency.
- Put shredded coconut in a small bowl and set aside.
- Remove mixture from food processor and place in medium bowl. Using clean hands, form into small bite-sized balls.
- Roll balls in coconut and place on baking sheet or plate.
- Refrigerate for at least 10 minutes to firm up.
- Remove from refrigerator and enjoy!
Note: Place uneaten energy balls in a sealed container and store in the refrigerator for up to one week.