The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act ensures students with physical and non-physical differences are provided with equal educational opportunities and that education is tailored to their individual needs. If you are a student who currently receives accommodations at your educational institution, you may also qualify for testing accommodations for the registered dietitian nutritionist registration exam.
STEP 1: Secure Appropriate Documentation
Contact a healthcare professional to obtain a letter explaining why you are requesting accommodations for the registration exam.
The documentation, at a minimum, should include:
- The medical professional’s name, credentials and medical/licensure ID
- How long you have been their patient, your diagnosis and a diagnosis code
- How your diagnosis impacts your testing performance
- How you will benefit from receiving the proposed accommodations
You may use documentation that was previously submitted to your educational or professional institution but only documentation that has been written within the past 5 years is valid.
STEP 2: Request Accommodations: Create Your ‘Reasonable Adjustments Request System’ Profile
Once you obtain documentation, you can formally request accommodations. To do this, first create a profile on PearsonVue.com. Select Register under First Time Request and complete the required information.
STEP 3: Request Accommodations: Complete the ‘Reasonable Adjustments Request System’ Application in 6 Easy Steps
Once you’ve successfully completed Step 2, login and click, Start a New Request Here!
Then follow these steps:
- Beneath the category labeled Program, select the option, Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) from the drop-down menu, and continue.
- Under the Test category, type Registered Dietitian’s Exam, and continue.
- Under Accommodations:
- Select why you are requesting accommodations from the request type drop-down menu.
- Select what accommodation you are requesting from the request item drop-down menu.
- Explain why you will benefit from the accommodation in the free-text section.
- Repeat the three steps above if you are requesting more than one accommodation.
You can only enter one request for one accommodation at a time on this page. For example, if you require a separate room and time and a half on exams, you will complete steps A through C, then click the plus sign directly to the right of the request item drop-down arrow to make the next request.
- Under Contacts, provide the information of the individuals who can support your request. This will likely be the healthcare provider who provided your documentation and one other professional who knows you and your academic needs such as an academic advisor or advocate
- You can only enter one request for one accommodation at a time on this page. For example, if you require a separate room and time and a half on exams, you will complete steps A through C, then click the plus sign directly to the right of the request item drop-down arrow to make the next request.
- Under Guidelines, confirm that your documentation provides the required information detailed on the page – then, click continue.
- Under Documentation, you have the option of uploading your documents or faxing them to PearsonVue. If you choose to fax your documents, you will need to download and complete the forms under my forms my clicking the icon that depicts a piece of paper and magnifying glass. Once you have submitted your documentation, click submit.
STEP 3: Await an Accommodation Request Decision
Accommodation request decisions take approximately 10 to 14 days. You should receive an email with the decision. To view it, you will need to log into your Reasonable Adjustments Request System account again.
STEP 4: If Approved, Schedule your Exam Date!
Once you receive an approval email, call the PearsonVue Accommodation Line for Individuals with Modified Testing Conditions at 800-466-0450. Students with testing accommodations will be required to call this phone number to reschedule exams as well.
NOTE: Scheduling your exam may take as long as 1 hour to complete. Do not call the general PearsonVue customer support phone number or it will increase your wait time, as the general representatives will need to connect you to the phone number provided above.
Preparing for, scheduling, and completing the RD exam may be a lengthy process, but it is also highly rewarding! For more information regarding scheduling the RDN exam with testing accommodations, visit this link.