Heat is tamed in this mild, bite-sized version of spicy chicken tinga. Flavorful chicken layered with beans and cream is baked in tortilla cups using a muffin tin.
SERVING SIZE: 2 tortilla cups (170 grams)
PREP TIME: 1 hour 15 minutes
COOKING TIME: 35 minutes
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) olive oil
- ⅓ cup diced mini sweet peppers
- 2 tablespoons diced sweet onion
- ½ cup finely shredded carrots
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ⅔ cup petite diced tomatoes with juice (no salt added)
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons shredded cooked chicken breast (from 17-ounce breast)
- ¾ cup cooked black beans
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup plus 3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- Cooking spray
- 12 corn tortillas
- ¾ cup crumbled queso fresco
- Heat oil in a 2-quart saucepan on the stove over medium heat.
- Add peppers and onions and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add carrots, stir and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Stir in cumin, coriander and chili powder.
- Add tomatoes with juice. Stir in chicken and cook just until tomato juice is absorbed, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- In a mixing bowl, mash beans using a potato masher or fork.
- In a small bowl, beat egg.
- Stir sour cream into egg.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C).
- Mist muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Using a 2¾-inch biscuit or cookie cutter, cut out center of each tortilla.
- Cut open the outer tortilla circles. Wrap these tortilla pieces around inside edges of muffin cups.
- Place 1 tablespoon mashed beans on each inner tortilla circle and push into center of tins.
- Top beans with 1 tablespoon egg-sour cream mixture and spread to edges.
- Top with 2 tablespoons chicken mixture.
- Using the back of a spoon, push down chicken mixture, leveling with top of muffin tin.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Let cool enough to carefully remove tortilla cups from pan.
- Serve each cup topped with 1 tablespoon queso fresco.
Cooking note: If you cannot find queso fresco, crumbled goat cheese may be used instead.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: 337 calories, 14g total fat, 6g saturated fat, 81mg cholesterol, 178mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate, 6g fiber, 3g sugar, 21g protein, N/A potassium, N/A phosphorus