Synopsis of the App: BiteSnap uses artificial intelligence to log meals and track calories by simply taking a photo. It’s the self-proclaimed “easiest way to track what you eat.”
Price and Platform: Free. Apple and Android.
RDN Score: 4/5
- Simple and intuitive design that makes it fun to capture what you eat in a day.
- Take a picture of your plate or scan the barcode on packaged foods to easily log meals and snacks.
- App uses artificial intelligence to recognize what’s in a photo. Easily add portion size and extras like barbecue sauce to improve accuracy.
- App calculates calories and nutrients almost automatically without the typical search, scrolling or tedious food entries.
- Import old photos from the camera roll to log previous meals and automatically include the date and time.
- Judging by the sample logs used in this review, calorie outputs are fairly accurate.
- Personalize your experience by importing data from your phone’s health app or manually enter weight, height, age and activity to calculate a target calorie level.
- Includes a seven-day challenge to help keep new users engaged and accountable.
- Add text, copy meals or change times with ease. Add a meal description. Send and share via email, social media or to your computer.
- The app requires a bit of help including selecting from a list of suggestions and setting portion sizes for the most accurate results.
- App is based on the theory of calories and doesn’t account for food quality or satiety.
- The app can encourage a focus on calorie counting as a way to lose weight.
Bottom Line: BiteSnap is ideal for meal-logging, calorie-conscious people looking for a way to track meals with ease.