Serving size: 2 tacos
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Pico de Gallo:
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, cored and diced
- ½ small white onion, peeled and minced
- ½ medium jalapeño, seeded and minced (optional)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Zest and juice of 2 medium limes
- ½ teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 pound cod fillet, skin removed and cut into 8 2-ounce portions
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons blackened seasoning
- ¼ cup low-fat or fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- Juice of ½ medium lime
- 8 corn tortillas, toasted
- 1 medium avocado, peeled, cored and sliced
- In a medium bowl, stir together tomatoes, onion, jalapeño, cilantro, lime juice and zest and salt. Cover and refrigerate.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet or grill to medium heat. Brush both sides of the fish fillets with oil, then coat with blackened seasoning.
- Cook in the skillet or on the grill 2 to 3 minutes per side until fish reaches a minimum internal temperature of 145°F or flakes easily with a fork.
- In a small bowl, stir together yogurt and lime juice.
- Serve fish on toasted corn tortillas with slices of avocado, pico de gallo and a drizzle of lime yogurt.
Cooking note: To make your own blackened seasoning, stir together 1 tablespoon smoked paprika, ½ tablespoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, ½ teaspoon ground black pepper and ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper. Add salt as desired.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: 329 calories, 13g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 44mg cholesterol, 409mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate, 6g fiber, 3g sugar, 23g protein, NA potassium, NA phosphorus
Analysis includes jalapeño. Assumed amounts for lime juice and lime peel (subbed lemon peel). Assumed size of corn tortilla to be 6-inch. Reliable nutrition information not available for blackened seasoning and corn tortillas.