Synopsis of the App: Brain.fm provides functional music to help you focus, relax and sleep.
Price and Platform: Free. Apple and Android
RDN Score: 4/5
- Simple, easy-to-use app with a cheerful tone.
- Select music designed for focus, relaxation, sleep or meditation.
- Music genres include classical, cinematic, electronic, piano, atmospheric, chimes and bowls, nature sounds including rain, forest and even drones.
- Music is designed to work in the background.
- Starts with a goal-setting exercise: Users can select to work on focus to get more work done or experience fewer distractions and less procrastination, or to get results in sleep, meditation or relaxation.
- Set up a habit; choose the days of the week and length of time to practice.
- Go with guided and unguided meditations or relax to chill, recharge, destress or unwind. The sessions don’t require much prep; instead, the app selects an appropriate length and music sounds for you to start automatically.
- When sleep is the goal, users can choose deep sleep, guided sleep, sleep and wake or wind-down options.
- Save favorite tracks for easy recall.
- Includes white papers and links to the science to support the app’s work and claims.
- Pro members can download sessions to use offline.
- Trial includes five free sessions.
- Requires sign-up with an email account rather than remaining anonymous.
Bottom Line: Although the science is new, it’s promising. Brain.fm is ideal for those seeking to focus, relax or meditate to music that won’t be jarring.