A take on the Swedish dish kålpudding, this version replaces half the meat with mushrooms, white rice with brown rice, and molasses with brown sugar. Serve with cranberry sauce and boiled potatoes.
SERVING SIZE: 1 cup (140 grams)
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 1 hour
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) canola oil
- 10 cups sliced white cabbage (sliced into ½-inch strips)
- ½ cup (120 milliliters) water
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) soy sauce
- 6 cups cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 cup yellow onion, grated (including any liquid)
- ¼ pound ground beef (90% lean)
- ¼ pound ground pork
- ¾ cup cooked brown rice
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup plus 1 teaspoon (65 milliliters) 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F (181°C).
- Heat a Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat and add oil.
- Sauté cabbage in batches for about 7 minutes, stirring frequently to avoid burning. Cabbage should be soft and have some browning.
- Once all batches are cooked, return all cabbage to Dutch oven or pot and add water, brown sugar and soy sauce.
- Stir well to combine and simmer until all water is gone, about 10 minutes.
- Remove cabbage from pot and set aside.
- In the same pot, add mushrooms and cook until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Drain off excess liquid.
- In a large bowl, combine onion, cooked mushrooms, meat, rice, egg, milk, salt and pepper.
- To a 9-by-13-inch baking dish, add half the cabbage in one layer.
- Top with the meat mixture, then top with remaining cabbage.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: 120 calories, 5g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 29mg cholesterol, 343mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 7g sugar, 8g protein, 467mg potassium, 135mg phosphorus