Synopsis: CapCut is an all-in-one mobile video editor with music.
Price and Platform: Free. Apple and Android.
RDN Score: 4/5
- Easy for beginners with simple controls to cut, change speed, reverse clips and more.
- A product of ByteDance (TikTok’s parent company), CapCut seamlessly integrates music into video editing. Sign in with TikTok to sync your favorite sounds or use the tracks available in CapCut.
- Access trending fonts, stickers and text and easily add background layers, blur effects and more for all or part of any video.
- Adjust color, brightness, exposure and other settings and apply filters and “magical” effects to get the look and feel you want. Add voiceover, slow motion and reverse effects and transitions to further enhance videos.
- Option (on iOS) to control how many photos can be accessed; allow access to all photos, select photos or none. Note: Allowing access to “none” effectively renders the app useless.
- Create video projects using existing videos, still photos and live photos and access CapCut’s stock video library, which includes a small collection of animated clips and end cards.
- CapCut prompts users to add a cover, ending and proper transitions to each project.
- Easily adjust resolution and frame rate from the project home screen and download to your mobile device.
- Share completed videos to TikTok, Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp, or send via text or email — all without a watermark.
- CapCut may use your device ID to track you across third-party apps and websites. The app also may collect a significant amount of personal data from users including contact information, identifiers, diagnostics, user content and usage data.
- It’s a little tedious to delete selected image access from the app. To do so, users must select each image to disallow from the mobile device’s settings — not in the CapCut app itself.
Bottom Line: Ideal for beginner and experienced creators alike and with features usually only available with paid apps, CapCut is an all-in-one tool for creating and editing videos from a mobile device.