Full of nutritious carrots and carrot cake spices, these pancakes are a breakfast treat. Serve with maple syrup or nut butter.
SERVING SIZE: 2 pancakes (130 grams)
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOKING TIME: 15 minutes
- 3 large carrots, washed and peeled
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup (52 milliliters) whole milk
- 1½ cups (375 milliliters) buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon (4 milliliters) vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- Crushed pecans (optional)
- Using the small side of a box grater, finely grate carrots, then set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a separate medium mixing bowl, whisk together brown sugar, whole milk, buttermilk, vanilla extract and eggs.
- Add shredded carrots to the buttermilk mixture and whisk to combine.
- Add flour mixture to the buttermilk and carrot mixture and fold to combine.
- Heat a griddle over medium-high heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter and let it melt evenly across the surface.
- Pour ⅓ cup batter onto the griddle and spread it into a circle, about ½-inch thick.
- Cook until bottom is golden brown, about 3 minutes, then flip.
- Repeat with remaining butter and batter.
- To serve, place pancakes on a plate and top with crushed pecans and other toppings, if desired.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: 324 calories, 12g total fat, 6g saturated fat, 86mg cholesterol, 338mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 12g sugar, 8g protein, 262mg potassium, 180mg phosphorus