Bacon-wrapped stuffed chicken gets a healthy makeover with creamy low-fat ricotta cheese and turkey bacon. Served with a salad, this entrée adds decadence to any weeknight dinner.
SERVING SIZE: ½ stuffed chicken breast (220 grams)
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 20 minutes
- 2 cups Swiss chard leaves
- ½ cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (20 ounces)
- 4 slices (2 ounces) turkey bacon
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) extra-virgin olive oil
- Fill a large pot three-quarters full with water and bring to a boil.
- Add chard.
- When water returns to boiling, cook for 3 more minutes.
- In a strainer, drain chard and press out excess liquid using a fork.
- Let cool and press again with hands until no liquid comes out.
- Transfer to a cutting board and finely chop.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together chard, ricotta, walnuts, egg, Parmesan, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Set aside.
- Split chicken breasts by placing one hand atop the chicken to hold it steady, and making a long cut horizontally through the middle of the breast. Do not cut all the way through.
- Spoon half the chard mixture across one side of a split chicken breast, then fold the breast over the stuffing to close. Repeat with the other breast.
- Wrap each stuffed breast with 2 slices of bacon and secure with toothpicks as needed. Remember how many picks are used and remove them all before serving.
- Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken and cook one side until golden brown, then flip to brown the other side.
- Cover pan, lower heat and cook about 15 to 20 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink and the internal temperature is 165°F (74°C).
- Remove toothpicks and serve.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: 367 calories, 20g total fat, 5g saturated fat, 147mg cholesterol, 643mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 1g sugar, 41g protein, 557mg potassium, 408mg phosphorus