Satisfy a sweet tooth with fluffy chocolate muffins made with vegan ingredients.
SERVING SIZE: 1 muffin (64 grams)
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOKING TIME: 15 minutes
- Nonstick cooking spray
- ¾ cup (160 milliliters) vanilla soy milk
- 2 teaspoons (10 milliliters) apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, unbleached
- 1 cup white whole-wheat flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup dried cherries, unsweetened
- ½ cup mini dairy-free chocolate chips, divided
- ½ cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- ⅓ cup almond butter
- ⅓ cup (80 milliliters) maple syrup
- ½ cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 3 tablespoons (45 milliliters) light olive oil
- ½ teaspoon (2 milliliters) almond extract
- Preheat oven to 375°F (191°C). Spray 12 muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray.
- In small bowl, stir together soy milk and vinegar and set aside. To a large bowl, add all-purpose flour, white whole-wheat flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt, dried cherries and ¼ cup chocolate chips. Stir well and set aside.
- To a blender, add black beans, almond butter, maple syrup, applesauce, olive oil and almond extract, plus the soy milk and vinegar mixture. Blend on high for about 10 seconds or until smooth. Add wet mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Portion evenly into muffin cups and top with remaining chocolate chips, pressing them lightly into the batter. Bake for 15 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes before serving.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: 238 calories, 11g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 188mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate, 5g fiber, 10g sugar, 5g protein, 274mg potassium, NA phosphorus