Inspired by torsk med ägg, a traditional Swedish dish of poached cod and hard-boiled egg, this adaptation transforms cod into a pan-seared cake with potato and breadcrumbs.
SERVING SIZE: 1 cod cake with 1 poached egg and ¼ cup wilted kale (240 grams)
PREP TIME: 35 minutes
COOKING TIME: 25 minutes
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons (90 milliliters) canola oil, divided
- ⅓ cup finely diced white onion
- ⅓ cup finely diced celery
- 12 ounces fresh cod
- ¾ cup cooked potato flesh from 1 medium russet potato
- ½ cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 5 large eggs, divided
- 3 packed cups chopped kale
- 4 fresh lemon wedges
- ¼ cup fresh dill, for garnish
- Heat 1 tablespoon canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and celery and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl to cool.
- To the skillet, add 2 tablespoons canola oil and cod, then pan-sear for 4 minutes on each side.
- When cod reaches an internal temperature of 145°F (63°C), turn off heat and transfer to the bowl with the vegetables.
- Add potato, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper and 1 egg to the bowl and mix well, ensuring there are no large chunks of cod or potato.
- Form into 4 patties and set on a plate.
- Place in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to set and cool.
- Meanwhile, add 1 tablespoon canola oil to the skillet over medium heat.
- Add kale and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes until kale has wilted by two thirds.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Fill a saucepan with three inches of water and bring to a strong simmer, just below boiling.
- Add 2 tablespoons canola oil to the skillet and heat over medium heat.
- Place cod cakes in the hot oil and pan-fry for 5 minutes.
- Use a spatula to gently flip cod cakes and pan-fry for 5 minutes.
- While cod cakes cook, break eggs one at a time into a small glass bowl.
- Move the bowl with the egg over the simmering water and gently slip the egg into the water.
- Cook for about 3 to 5 minutes, or until both white and yolk are firm. Do not stir.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the egg from the water.
- Repeat with remaining eggs.
- Cod cakes are done cooking when they have a golden crust and an internal temperature of 160°F (71°C).
- To serve, top each cake with a poached egg and wilted kale.
- Squeeze a lemon wedge on top and garnish with fresh dill.
Cooking note: To cook a russet potato, wash skin and poke a few holes in it with a fork. Bake at 425°F (218°C) for about 45 minutes or microwave on high for about 5 minutes.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: 378 calories, 22g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 249mg cholesterol, 573mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 3g sugar, 25g protein, 591mg potassium, 271mg phosphorus