For a quick upscale appetizer, top this produce-packed, no-cook soup with fresh basil and precooked cocktail shrimp.
SERVING SIZE: 1 cup (230 grams)
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons (90 milliliters) fresh lime juice
- ½ cup (120 milliliters) full-fat canned coconut milk, stirred
- ¼ cup (60 milliliters) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium avocado, peeled and cored
- 2 medium English cucumbers (skins on), chopped into 3-inch chunks
- ½ medium red onion, peeled and chopped into 3-inch chunks
- ½ medium jalapeño, stemmed and seeded
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley leaves
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
- 10 large cooked shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails on)
- Pour lime juice, coconut milk and oil into a blender.
- Add avocado, cucumbers, onion, jalapeño, garlic, cilantro and parsley.
- Blend until smooth, stopping to stir and scrape down the sides as necessary.
- Add salt, pepper and sugar and blend until very smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Place in the refrigerator to chill at least 1 hour.
- To serve, pour soup into small bowls and top each with a pinch of fresh basil and 2 cocktail shrimp.
Cooking note: Store soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Freezing is not recommended.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: 282 calories, 18g total fat, 6g saturated fat, 129mg cholesterol, 565mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 6g sugar, 19g protein, 458mg potassium, 215mg phosphorus