Enjoy the flavors of traditional phở with this simplified version, featuring store-bought beef broth with star anise, ginger, soy sauce and fish sauce. This recipe is part of the 2018 Food & Nutrition cultural competency series, My Global Table.
SERVING SIZE: 3 cups (850 grams)
PREP TIME: 30 minutes
COOKING TIME: 30 minutes
- 2 star anise pods
- 8 cups (1,890 milliliters) unsalted beef broth
- 2½ cups very thinly sliced yellow onion (about 1 large onion)
- 3-inch piece ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves smashed garlic
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) less-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) fish sauce
- 8 ounces thin brown rice noodles
- 12 ounces beef eye of round, sliced ⅛-inch thick
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 1 small jalapeño, thinly sliced
- 4 scallions, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- ½ cup basil leaves
- ½ cup cilantro leaves
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha sauce
- 2 teaspoons hoisin sauce
- 4 lime wedges
- Heat a large stockpot over medium heat. Add star anise and toast for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until fragrant.
- Pour in beef broth and add onion.
- Wrap ginger slices in a piece of cheesecloth, tie the ends together to secure and add to broth. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove ginger sachet and star anise pods and discard.
- Stir in soy and fish sauces.
- While broth is simmering, bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add rice noodles and cook according to package instructions. Drain, rinse thoroughly with cold water and set aside.
- Add beef to broth and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes until internal temperature reaches 145°F.
- Divide noodles among 4 bowls and ladle hot broth with beef over noodles.
- Season each bowl with Sriracha and hoisin sauces and juice from a lime wedge.
- Serve bean sprouts, jalapeño slices, scallion, basil and cilantro as garnishes.
Cooking note: Freeze beef for 1 hour prior to slicing to make it easier to cut.
Nutrition per serving: 430 calories, 4g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 49mg cholesterol, 687mg sodium, 66g carbohydrate, 8g fiber, 6g sugar, 36g protein, N/A potassium, N/A phosphorus