Synopsis: GreenChoice helps inform your grocery buying by rating food products for healthfulness and climate friendliness for a budget.
Price and Platform: Free with paid option. Apple and Android.
RDN Score: 4/5
- Easy-to-navigate app.
- For personalized recommendations, enter allergy and dietary preferences including kosher, vegan, vegetarian, keto, paleo or gluten-free.
- Search by product brand name or for fresh fruits and vegetables from the main page.
- Browse top-rated foods to easily identify those with a green rating. Click through for higher rated or better matched alternatives.
- Check the GreenScore for a breakdown of a food’s nutrition, environment, food safety and processing score. The score is based on factors such as the carbon and water footprint, presence of additives, chemical pesticides, stabilizers and if it contains whole grains and nutrients such as sodium and protein.
- Easily view the ingredient list for any product in the database.
- Shop 3,000+ pantry staples and snacks with free delivery from three popular retailers using the GreenChoice online marketplace.
- Includes articles on sustainability and politics sourced from third-party websites.
- Must set up an account to use the filters, get personalized recommendations, save favorites and create grocery lists.
- Sometimes the app doesn’t return results for common foods such as avocado or almonds.
- The app is in beta, so occasional glitches keep it from loading properly.
- Blog content may not be fully vetted, as it comes from a variety of sources.
Bottom Line: Ideal for anyone with an interest in healthy, sustainable grocery buying, GreenChoice is a great place to start a search for eco-friendly foods.