Inspired by Greek baked eggplant and cheese, this lighter version features grilled eggplant slices topped with a fresh tomato, olive and feta salad.
SERVING SIZE: 2 slices eggplant plus ¼ cup topping (140 grams)
PREP TIME: 40 minutes
COOKING TIME: 10 minutes
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 10 slices (½-inch thick)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
- ⅓ cup sliced green onion (white and green parts)
- ⅓ cup pitted Kalamata olives, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped basil leaves
- 1½ tablespoons (20 milliliters) extra-virgin olive oil
- Cooking spray
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Black pepper, to taste
- Place eggplant slices on a large plate and sprinkle with salt to draw out some of the moisture.
- Allow eggplant to sit for 30 minutes, then pat dry with paper towels.
- Meanwhile, combine tomatoes, green onion, olives, basil and olive oil in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat grill pan over medium-high heat and lightly coat with cooking spray.
- Place eggplant slices on grill pan and cook for 4 minutes on each side.
- Carefully remove and place on a large plate to cool completely.
Cooking note: If using a grill, lightly brush each eggplant slice with olive oil on both sides before placing on the grill.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: 97 calories, 7g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 12mg cholesterol, 308mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 4g sugar, 3g protein, 259mg potassium, 71mg phosphorus