This flavorful twist on the Argentine stew locro comes together in one pot. Canned hominy is used as a quick alternative to the dry version traditionally used. This recipe is part of the 2018 Food & Nutrition cultural competency series, My Global Table.
SERVING SIZE: ¾ cup (300 grams)
PREP TIME: 25 minutes
COOKING TIME: 1 hour 25 minutes
- 2 teaspoons (10 milliliters) olive oil
- 1 pound beef chuck, diced into bite-size pieces
- ¼ cup diced thick-cut bacon (about 2 slices)
- ½ cup chorizo or spicy sausage
- 1½ cups diced yellow onion
- 1½ tablespoons sliced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 bay leaves
- 1½ cups diced butternut squash
- 1½ cups diced sweet potato
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 5 fluid ounces (150 milliliters) water
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 15.5-ounce can white hominy
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add beef chuck and brown on all sides (about 3 to 4 minutes). Remove beef from pan and set aside.
- Return pot to stove, add bacon and chorizo and cook 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add onions and garlic and sauté 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add cumin, paprika, nutmeg and bay leaves, toss and cook 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add squash and sweet potatoes and sauté 3 to 4 minutes.
- Return beef to the pan and add tomatoes and water. Stir, bring to a boil and reduce to simmer for 50 minutes.
- Add corn and continue to cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Stir over medium heat and, using the back of a wide spoon, press ingredients against sides of the pot to break down starchy vegetables and tomatoes.
- Continue to stir until liquid begins to thicken, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Pour hominy into a microwave-safe bowl and heat on high in the microwave for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Drain heated hominy, add to the stew and stir to combine.
- Heat for 10 minutes. Serve hot.
Cooking note: For more tender meat, marinate chuck in fresh orange juice while prepping remainder of ingredients.
Nutrition per serving: 368 calories, 13g total fat, 4g saturated fat, 62mg cholesterol, 651mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate, 6g fiber, 10g sugar, 24g protein, N/A potassium, N/A phosphorus