For a sweet snack, soak jasmine rice in a mixture of coconut milk, coconut sugar and vanilla extract and top with mango chunks.
SERVING SIZE: ¾ cup rice, ¼ cup mango, plus 1 tablespoon coconut flakes (180 grams)
PREP TIME: 5 minutes
COOKING TIME: 40 minutes
- 1 cup dry jasmine rice
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened coconut flakes
- 13.5-ounce can (407 milliliters) lite coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon (1 milliliter) vanilla extract
- 1½ cups frozen mango chunks
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Boil 1¾ cup water in a medium pot over medium-high heat. While water is boiling, add rice and reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 20 to 22 minutes. When rice is cooked, remove the lid and fluff with a fork. Let sit for another 4 to 5 minutes.
- Line a pan with foil or parchment paper and spread coconut flakes in an even layer. Place in oven on the middle rack and toast for 2 minutes. Remove coconut flakes from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Heat coconut milk in a small saucepan over low heat. Add coconut sugar and vanilla extract and heat for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once heated through, pour mixture over the cooked rice and mix well. Mix in half of the toasted coconut flakes. Cover and let sit for at least 15 to 20 minutes.
- Chop frozen mango chunks into smaller, bite-size pieces.
- When ready to serve, scoop rice pudding into serving dishes and top each serving with ¼ cup frozen mango and 1 tablespoon toasted coconut flakes.
Cooking notes: Coconut flakes are easy to burn, so keep a close eye on them. Coconut flakes can be toasted on the stovetop in a medium pan over low heat. For quicker preparation, reheat and use leftover cooked rice. Substitute fresh ripe mango or pre-diced packaged mango in place of frozen mango. Use full-fat coconut milk for a creamier consistency.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: 191 calories, 5g total fat, 4g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 6mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 7g sugar, 2g protein, NA potassium, NA phosphorus