Synopsis of the App: Mealplan provides calorie-controlled meal plans based on height, weight, age and dietary preferences.
Price and Platform: Free + in-app purchases. Apple only.
RDN Score: 3/5
- Provides diet-specific meal plans and grocery lists.
- Showcases well-produced videos and attractive food photography to engage the user.
- Find simple meal plans tailored for height, weight, age and diet preferences including vegan and vegetarian “optimal health” and more trendy ones such as the keto diet.
- Use the blank template to create a custom meal plan based on your personal nutrition and calorie goals and lifestyle.
- Each four-week Mealplan includes a brief explainer and tips to stick to the plan.
- Recipes are adjustable and include a one-click grocery list feature to add groceries for a day or the entire week at once.
- Easily edit menus by copying, deleting or switching days for recipes.
- Integrated with the Apple Health app for easy food logging.
- Includes a free seven-day trial with paid plans starting at $49.99 per year.
- Personalized plan includes a calculated BMR and total daily energy expenditure based on estimated activity levels but doesn’t account for muscle mass and genetics. (Note: Informed users can enter a custom calorie level.)
- Must log in with Facebook, an email address or Fitplan account making it difficult to use the app without personal identifiers.
- Unclear whether the nutrition experts behind the app have any formal training or education in nutrition science.
- Must subscribe to a plan before using the free seven-day trial.
- Only available on iOS devices at the time of this review.
Bottom Line: Ideal for calorie counters, Mealplan offers meal-prep friendly recipes that anyone can use.