Cookies for breakfast? That’s right!
Developed by Stone Soup blogger Leah Swanson, RDN, CD, this Food & Nutrition Test Kitchen recipe for no-sugar-added cookies is packed with nutrients for a healthful breakfast or snack. The protein from pecans and hemp seeds helps keep you feeling full, and carbohydrates from oats and fruit provide energy to get moving in the morning. For a more filling meal or snack, pair a cookie or two with a hard-boiled egg, plain Greek yogurt or nut butter.
Morning Glory Breakfast Cookies
Recipe developed by Leah Swanson, RDN, CD
Yield: 12 cookies
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- ½ cup shredded carrot
- ½ cup shredded apple (with peel)
- ¼ cup chopped pecans (or preferred nut)
- ¼ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- ¼ cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Combine all ingredients in a medium-size bowl and mix well.
- Place heaping scoops of cookie dough, about ¼ to ⅓ cup each, onto lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until cookies are slightly firm to the touch but still tender.