Salmon nuggets are seared to crispy perfection and served with a sweet and savory blackberry dipping sauce.
SERVING SIZE: 3 ounces salmon (about 6 nuggets), plus 1½ tablespoons (25 milliliters) sauce (120 grams)
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 20 minutes
- 1½ cups frozen blackberries
- 3 tablespoons (45 milliliters) low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons (45 milliliters) honey
- 4 teaspoons (20 milliliters) rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 whole star anise
- ¼ teaspoon chili flakes (more to taste)
- 1 pound salmon, skin removed
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons (10 milliliters) avocado oil
- Combine blackberries, soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar, ginger, star anise and chili flakes in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally and smashing the blackberries with a spatula.
- Cut salmon into one-inch pieces and season with salt and pepper. Place a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, add oil to the pan and swirl to coat.
- Add salmon in a single layer and sear for 1 to 2 minutes per side until all sides are golden and crispy and cooked to a minimum internal temperature of 145°F (62°C). Cook in two batches, if necessary, to avoid crowding the pan.
- Remove the blackberry mixture from heat and pour through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl. Use a spatula to press the sauce through. Discard the seeds.
- Serve salmon nuggets with dipping sauce on the side.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: 325 calories, 16g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 83mg cholesterol, 659mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 15g sugar, 27g protein, NA potassium, NA phosphorus