Synopsis of the App: Portal provides 3D soundscapes and ambience to encourage productivity, sleep and relaxation.
Price and Platform: Free + premium. Apple only.
RDN Score: 5/5
- Pleasant to use with a beautiful and engaging design.
- Includes immersive ambience experiences from around the globe. Take a break in the mountains of Nepal, finish a writing project with the Redwood National Park as a backdrop or fall asleep to the sounds of a thunderstorm in the Amazon.
- FOCUS: Set a task to stay focused using the default 25-minute timer common to the Pomodoro principle.
- SLEEP: Fall asleep to your favorite sounds or set an alarm to wake up. Personalize the volume and duration for a slow and non-jolting awakening. Set up wakeup lighting for a gentle and natural awakening time.
- ESCAPE: Use Portal’s guided breathing exercises, deep relaxation and box breathing activities to wind down, calm stress and anxiety, or as a warmup for meditation. Each breathing exercise includes a timer and clear directions to perform them, as well as safety warnings such as stopping if you feel lightheaded.
- Mix Portal’s audio with other apps to add ambience to other music, podcasts, audiobooks and guided meditations.
- Customize the app with night dock, screen locking, clock appearance, adding to Siri and selecting push notifications.
- Connect with smart lights to set up and change a room’s physical ambience.
- Upgrade for $3.99 to get all premium soundscapes.
- Only available on iOS at the time of this review.
Bottom Line: With a pair of headphones, this app can temporarily transport you to a new audio reality. Portal is ideal for anyone needing a little break, boost to productivity or help falling asleep.