A seasonal twist on comforting red curry is studded with vibrant and crisp vegetables, lean chicken breast and warm spices.
SERVING SIZE: ⅔ cup (200 grams)
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 20 minutes
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) olive oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced on a bias
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced in half moons
- 1 14-ounce can (400 milliliters) light coconut milk
- ½ cup (120 milliliters) vegetable broth
- ½ cup canned pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 8 ounces pre-cooked chicken breast, chopped into bite-size pieces
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, ¼ teaspoon salt and ⅛ teaspoon black pepper. Cook another 1 to 2 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- Add bell pepper and carrots and cook 5 minutes or until vegetables are slightly tender but still crisp. Add zucchini and cook another 2 to 3 minutes until bright green.
- Add coconut milk, vegetable broth, pumpkin puree, curry paste, pumpkin pie spice and brown sugar, plus the remaining salt and pepper. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 8 to 10 minutes until thickened, giving flavors a chance to develop.
- Add chopped chicken and stir until the chicken is warmed through and reaches a minimum internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).
Cooking note: Serve with cooked rice, cauliflower rice or bread for dipping.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: 215 calories, 10g total fat, 4g saturated fat, 32mg cholesterol, 774mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 11g sugar, 13g protein, NA potassium, NA phosphorus