A modified version of the traditional Venezuelan corbullón de mero, this adaptation uses any firm white fish and ingredients that are easy to find in the grocery store.
SERVING SIZE: 4 ounces fish with sauce, 2 olives and ½ tablespoon cilantro (210 grams)
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 25 minutes
- 4 tablespoons (60 milliliters) canola oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1½ cups chopped red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped red cherry peppers
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon creole seasoning
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) dry red wine, such as cabernet sauvignon
- 16 ounces firm white fish, cut into 4 pieces (4 ounces each)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 8 small pimento stuffed olives, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat for 30 seconds, then add 2 tablespoons canola oil.
- Add tomato, bell pepper, cherry peppers and garlic.
- Sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to keep garlic from sticking.
- Transfer the tomato-pepper mixture to a food processor or blender.
- Add thyme, creole seasoning and red wine, then blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Use a paper towel to pat fish dry, then sprinkle each piece with equal amounts of black pepper.
- In the same skillet used to cook tomato-pepper mixture, add the remaining 2 tablespoons canola oil and heat over medium heat for 30 seconds.
- Add onion, then nestle fish fillets in onions.
- Sauté for 5 minutes without moving fish.
- Pour tomato-pepper mixture into the skillet, surrounding but not covering the top of the fish with the sauce.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 5 to 8 minutes. Fish should reach an internal temperature of 145°F (63°C) and easily flake with a fork.
- To serve, remove fish with a spatula and spoon sauce around the serving dish. Garnish with olives and cilantro.
Cooking note: Use any firm white fish, such as grouper, tilapia, cod or snapper.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: 230 calories, 14g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 43mg cholesterol, 594mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 2g sugar, 19g protein, N/A potassium, N/A phosphorous