A subtly spicy sesame-honey dressing adds flavor to this shaved carrot salad.
SERVING SIZE: ½ cup (53 grams)
PREP TIME: 15 minutes, plus 30 minutes of refrigeration
COOKING TIME: 1 minute
- 2 tablespoons (28 milliliters) rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons (42 milliliters) honey
- 2 tablespoons (28 milliliters) fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 2 teaspoons (12 milliliters) toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- ½ teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 large carrots, peeled and trimmed
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup chopped dry roasted peanuts
- In a large glass bowl, whisk together rice vinegar, honey, lime juice, lime zest, sesame oil, ginger, salt and red pepper flakes. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Thinly slice carrot (about ⅛-inch thick).
- Add carrot ribbons and cilantro to the bowl of dressing and toss to combine.
- Cover with plastic wrap or a fitted lid and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat.
- Add peanuts and toast 30 to 60 seconds, stirring frequently, until peanuts are lightly browned and fragrant. Let cool.
- Just before serving, top salad with chopped peanuts.
Cooking note: Carrots can be cut into coins, thinly sliced on a bias, shaved or spiralized.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: 87 calories, 5g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 206mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 8g sugar, 2g protein, N/A potassium, N/A phosphorus