This sweet and savory jerky is a portable, plant-based and protein-packed snack.
SERVING SIZE: 2 pieces (30 grams)
PREP TIME: 15 minutes and 12 or more hours to marinate
COOKING TIME: 30 minutes
- 1 8-ounce package tempeh
- ¼ cup (60 milliliters) low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons (45 milliliters) maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) water
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon (1 milliliter) liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Fill a medium saucepan with 1 cup (about 1 inch) water and bring to a boil.
- Place tempeh in the saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes, flipping it over after 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove tempeh from pan, pat dry and with clean cloth or paper towel and set on a cutting board.
- Slice tempeh in half crosswise, then slice each half lengthwise, making 4 thin pieces (about ¼-inch thick). Cut each piece into 4 triangles (16 small pieces).
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine soy sauce, maple syrup, water, garlic powder, ground ginger, cayenne pepper, liquid smoke and sesame oil and set aside.
- Arrange tempeh pieces in a single layer in a shallow baking dish.
- Pour marinade over tempeh, then turn over tempeh pieces to coat both sides with marinade.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 12 hours, turning over tempeh pieces once or twice while marinating so they absorb liquid evenly.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C) and set oven rack to the middle position.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lay tempeh pieces on the baking sheet in a single layer, reserving any remaining marinade.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon sesame seeds over tempeh. Flip over tempeh pieces using tongs, then sprinkle remaining sesame seeds on top.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then flip tempeh pieces.
- Spoon any reserved marinade over the pieces, and bake for an additional 15 minutes until very golden brown.
- Watch tempeh carefully for the last 5 minutes and flip again if necessary to prevent burning.
- Best enjoyed warm or cooled on the day of making, jerky also can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: 93 calories, 5g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 239mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 3g sugar, 7g protein, N/A potassium, N/A phosphorus