Reducing the amount of bacon and replacing ham bone with chicken broth allows Southern flavors to shine through while reducing sodium and saturated fat.
SERVING SIZE: 1 cup (170 grams)
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOKING TIME: 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) canola oil
- 1½ cups diced onion
- ¾ cup chopped bacon (about 4 slices)
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- 10 cups chopped collard greens
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon chicken base
- 1 quart (950 milliliters) water
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) apple cider vinegar
- In a Dutch oven, heat canola oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and bacon and sauté for about 4 minutes, until onion is soft and bacon is fragrant.
- Add garlic and cranberries and sauté another minute.
- Add greens, chicken base and water and bring to a simmer, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes until greens are tender.
- Remove from heat, add vinegar and stir.
- Serve collards using a slotted spoon to drain excess liquid.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: 158 calories, 5g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 6mg cholesterol, 822mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate, 5g fiber, 12g sugar, 7g protein, N/A potassium, N/A phosphorus