A dash of cayenne pepper puts a spicy twist on a classic summer dessert.
SERVING SIZE: 1 pineapple ring (110 grams) and 2 tablespoons coconut whipped cream (30 grams)
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 15 minutes
- 1 pineapple
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 13.5-ounce (400 milliliters) can full-fat coconut milk, refrigerated at least 8 hours
- ½ teaspoon (3 milliliters) pure vanilla extract
- Place a metal mixing bowl and beaters or whisk attachment in the freezer to chill.
- Lay pineapple on its side on a sturdy cutting board and chop off the green top and hard bottom (about ½ inch off each side).
- Stand pineapple upright and carefully cut off skin, working all the way around.
- Remove any hard “eyes” with a small paring knife.
- Lay pineapple on its side and slice into 6 ½-inch rounds.
- Use a paring knife or small circular cookie cutter to carefully remove the core from each slice.
- Arrange rings in a single layer on a cutting board and discard core and peel.
- Heat grill or grill pan over medium-high heat.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, cinnamon and cayenne pepper.
- Massage half the spice rub on one side of pineapple slices, then flip and repeat on the other side with the remaining spice rub.
- Grill pineapple rings until browned, about 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- Remove chilled can of coconut milk from the refrigerator, carefully turn the can upside down (taking care not to shake it) and open the bottom. Pour out the liquid and save for
a later use.
- Scoop out the thick solids and place in the cold mixing bowl.
- Beat the cream solids with a mixer until creamy with stiff peaks, about 2 to 4 minutes.
- Add vanilla extract and mix for 30 seconds until well combined.
- To assemble, arrange one pineapple ring on a small plate and top with 2 tablespoons coconut whipped cream.
- Garnish with extra cinnamon if desired.
Cooking note: To choose a can of coconut milk that will separate when chilled, do a “shake test” at the grocery store: The contents of the can should not move around inside when you shake it. Optionally add sweetener or other flavor to the whipped cream before serving. Cream can be stored for 3 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: 107 calories, 7g total fat, 6g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 6mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 9g sugar, 1g protein, 144mg potassium, 37mg phosphorus