Synopsis of the App: Start Simple with MyPlate offers food tips, meal ideas and a personalized plan to meet goals for eating fruits, vegetables, grains, protein and dairy foods.
Price and Platform: Free. Apple and Android.
RDN Score: 5/5
- Simple design that’s easy to use with excellent directions on getting started.
- From the “Goals” dashboard, set simple food goals in five different groups: fruits, vegetables, grains, protein foods and dairy.
- Goals are simple and approachable such as “Snack on fruit.”
- Check off daily goals and earn badges for healthy choices.
- Not sure about your goals? Start Simple will pick them for you.
- Each screen includes your goals for each food group and tips to help achieve them. Tip example for having fruit for a sweet treat: “Bake or sauté apples with cinnamon.”
- Easily tick off each time you complete a goal and enjoy a confetti celebration.
- Easily edit and set goals (up to three at a time).
- Includes challenges to keep users motivated and engaged beyond badge collection.
- Includes upcoming seasonal challenges to unlock over time.
- Monitor progress on the badges screen; earn badges in each food group and for challenges, plus two- or five-day streaks.
- Includes links to more information in MyPlate 101.
- Without an open challenge, users could “finish” the app and may be less inclined to stay engaged.
Bottom Line: With no food journals or calorie counting, Start Simple with MyPlate provides support for healthy eating via five food groups. It’s is ideal for anyone wanting to truly start simple.