Synopsis of the App: Sugar Sense is a self-management tool to track blood glucose, carbohydrate intake, daily steps and other essential measures.
Price and Platform: Free. Apple and Android.
RDN Score: 5/5
- User-friendly app design with simple and accessible visual cues.
- Set preferences for Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes, gestational diabetes, prediabetes and Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults (LADA).
- Easily track blood sugar levels, weight, steps and carbohydrate grams from the home screen.
- Provides a suggested blood sugar target range and the option to set a custom range.
- Tap to add details for daily blood sugar levels, blood pressure, medication, exercise carbs, symptoms and events such as eye exams.
- Without a complicated food log feature, it’s easy to monitor grams of carbohydrate.
- Track progress and share reports with friends, family and a health care team.
- Create an account to store and recall data or skip it to maintain privacy.
- Review average blood sugar readings for seven, 30 or 90 days.
- Works with the mobile phone accelerometer and syncs with trackers including Fitbit and Jawbone for seamless step counting.
- Offers simple recipes and informative blog articles, some written by nurses and dietitians and reviewed by MDs.
- Enable push notifications to log carbs or blood sugars or easily opt out.
- Offers an estimated HbA1C level, which could positively or negatively influence the user and should be used with input from a health professional.
- Requires an account to sign in and save data, which may invite privacy concerns.
Bottom Line: Ideal for new and experienced people with diabetes, the Sugar Sense delivers on its promise to provide the simplest blood sugar tracking plus a few more bells and whistles.