Start the day with a dish of cooked wheat berries, fresh fruit, spices and yogurt.
SERVING SIZE: ½ cup wheat berry blend with ¼ cup vanilla yogurt (68 grams)
PREP TIME: 20 minutes
COOKING TIME: 15 minutes
- 1 cup raw wheat berries, rinsed
- 1 cup red pear, diced
- 1 cup red grapes, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2½ cups vanilla yogurt
- Rinse wheat berries in strainer and place in a pot with 2½ cups water.
- Bring to boil, then cover and simmer until wheat berries are tender and most water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and drain any remaining water.
- Place wheat berries in a medium bowl. Mix in pear and grapes.
- Stir in cinnamon and nutmeg.
- To serve, place ½ cup wheat berry blend in bowl and top with ¼ cup vanilla yogurt.
Cooking Note: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: 140 calories, 1g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 3mg cholesterol, 38mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 12g sugar, 6g protein, 249mg potassium, N/A phosphorus