Tofu marinated in citrus juices and fresh vegetables is served with crispy homemade tortilla chips for a refreshing vegetarian appetizer.
SERVING SIZE: ⅓ cup tofu (200 grams) and 4 tortilla chips (15 grams)
PREP TIME: 15 minutes (plus 1 hour for marinating)
COOKING TIME: 15 minutes
- 1 14-ounce block firm tofu, drained and cubed
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1 cup chopped English cucumber
- 1 jalapeño, deseeded and minced
- ¾ cup (180 milliliters) lime juice
- ¼ cup (60 milliliters) lemon juice
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1 cup cubed avocado
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) olive oil
- Cooking spray
- ⅓ cup (80 milliliters) lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 6-inch corn tortillas
- In a large bowl, combine tofu, onion, cucumber, jalapeño, lime juice and lemon juice. Refrigerate for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine lime juice, chili powder and salt.
- Cut each tortilla into 4 triangles. Dip each triangle into the lime juice mixture and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Lightly spray chips with additional cooking spray and bake in oven for 10 to 15 minutes, or until chips are crispy and golden brown. Let cool completely on baking sheet.
- Remove tofu mixture from refrigerator and add tomato, avocado, cilantro, salt and olive oil.
- Stir to combine. Transfer mixture to serving bowl and serve with tortilla chips.
Nutrition per serving: 201 calories, 10g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 387mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 2g sugar, 12g protein, 415mg potassium, 222mg phosphorus