This robust and easily customizable breakfast recipe incorporates affordable ingredients.
SERVING SIZE: 1 cup tuna mixture (191 grams) and 1 cooked egg (36 grams)
PREP TIME: 5 minutes
COOKING TIME: 25 minutes
- 4 cups frozen potatoes, diced
- 3 tablespoons (36 milliliters) canola oil, divided
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 4 cups frozen tri-colored pepper and onion blend
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 12-ounce can tuna in water, drained
- 4 large eggs
- Dried parsley to taste (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450°F (232°C). Coat frozen potatoes with 2 tablespoons canola oil and ¼ teaspoon sea salt. Spread potatoes in a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast for 20 minutes, stirring potatoes after 10 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a cast-iron or oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add ¼ teaspoon sea salt, pepper and onion blend, paprika, black pepper, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and tuna. Cook for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low and stir occasionally for about 12 minutes or until potatoes are done. Remove potatoes from oven and add to pepper and tuna mixture. Toss to combine.
- Reduce oven to 400°F (204°C). Using the back of a spoon, make four wells in hash mixture.
- Crack 1 egg into each well and bake in oven until eggs are cooked through and both the yolk and white are firm. Remove from oven and garnish with parsley.
- Serve immediately.
Cooking note: Top with salsa, if desired.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: 371 calories, 17g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 185mg cholesterol, 570mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 3g sugar, 22g protein, NA potassium, NA phosphorus