Synopsis of the App
Yazio is a calorie counter app with a serious focus on keeping those numbers in check.
Platform and Price
Android and Apple. Free to start. In-app products from $6.99 to $54.99 per item.
3 out of 5
- Cheerful design that’s easy-to-navigate and includes appealing food photography.
- To start, each user sets a goal to “lose weight and get healthy,” “build muscle and gain weight healthily” or “stay healthy and maintain your weight.”
- Strict adherence to calorie levels is encouraged but not necessarily at the expense of food quality.
- Track your food intake and view daily calorie and macronutrient levels. Review macronutrient ratios throughout the day to see how close you are to goal.
- Customize the app with favorite and frequently eaten foods, meals and recipes for easy recall.
- Easily add foods and meals with a couple taps.
- Turn on coach tips for additional motivation.
- Includes a collection of recipes with nutrition information and tags indicating ease of prep or if it fits a specific dietary restriction like gluten-free or vegetarian.
- Recipes are easy and mostly healthy though limited in the basic version.
- Must surrender an email address and basic personal information to create an account and use the app.
- The basic version of the app doesn’t allow you to view data for more than breakfast meals, making it less beneficial compared to free apps in the category like MyFitnessPal or LoseIt.
- Lacks significant direction and resources on how to eat well in the basic version.
- Frequent pop-up ads encourage upgrading to pro membership to access the complete recipe database, “nutritional” plans, and nutrition tips.
- Heavy focus on calories may not be suitable for everyone. Users are encouraged to keep calorie goals as “exact as possible,” not going below or above the set goal. Instructions state to fill the diary, track foods (portions and quantity) using a kitchen scale for the first week.
Yazio is best for those who have success with strict calorie counting and who can include the pro version in the budget.