Platform and Price
Free; available via Apple App store
4 out of 5
Synopsis of the App
Food on the Table is a meal planning on a budget app. The app matches supermarket sales items with your food preferences and supports meal planning with recipes, sophisticated grocery lists and a meal planning calendar.
- Sales circulars are automatically updated each week and cover all major supermarkets including big box retailers.
- Plentiful recipes with community ratings highlighting the best options.
- Save recipes from around the web or add personal ones using the recipe box feature.
- Browse and seamlessly add recipes to the recipe box, meal plan and grocery list from major websites within the app with one touch. Websites include Whole Living, AllRecipes, food bloggers like the Pioneer Woman and others.
- “On hand” feature suggests recipes based on ingredients already in the pantry.
- Map out future meals using the meal planning calendar.
- In store grocery list reminder automatically sends an alert upon entering the supermarket so you never forget your shopping list again.
- Customizable grocery list allows you to reorder department layout, combine or separate the list by store and recall frequently added items.
- No ads.
- Not necessarily a health app.
- Nutrition facts are not always accurate nor are the serving sizes standard.
- Occasional pop ups prompt Facebook sign in with no way to turn it off.
- User beware. Recipes are a mixture of kitchen tested and user generated content that may not necessarily be accurate or healthy.
Food on the Table puts your weekly supermarket circular reviews in one place. This app conveniently delivers the most relevant sales information to your phone and helps you build meals based on this and what you have on hand. It’s perfect for meal planning on a budget and on the run.