Price and Platform
Free; available via Apple App store
3 out of 5 stars
Synopsis of the App
The FoodFacts app delivers product nutrition information, ingredients, allergens and the FoodFacts Health Score via mobile devices. FoodFacts is carving its niche among other food scanning apps in food allergens and ingredient education.
- Displays allergen alerts, the FoodFacts Health Score and accompanying nutrition facts panel for all products scanned.
- Search the product database by scan, keyword, UPC Code or ingredient.
- Enable filters to exclude as many as 25 ingredients ranging from corn to trans fats and tree nuts.
- Filter is easy to access, enable and disable.
- Save scanned products to favorites or shopping lists.
- App is integrated with the www.foodfacts.com website (also free).
- Slow to load at times.
- Loud scanner sound effect that doesn’t have an obvious way to be silenced without silencing the phone.
- Database more than 6 months old when this review went to press. Appears the user must sync it manually.
- Must be logged in to rate and review products.
- Distracting banner and pop up ads make using this app less than pleasant.
FoodFacts delivers a wealth of nutrition ingredient and allergen information. However, the app’s detractors may make using it a bit difficult.