Android (Free version available via Android Market)
3 out of 5
Synopsis of the App
Touted as a tool to "win the mental game of dieting," My Diet Coach is designed to keep dieters motivated and committed to meeting their weight loss goals. Capitalizing on the fact that most people don’t leave home without their phone, the app uses reminders that pop up at the moment you might experience diet derailers like food cravings, emotional eating or exercise laziness. My Diet Coach employs three main components: My Diet Reminders, My Perseverance Tips and My Diet Assistants plus the community to support dieters.
- Simple design and navigation.
- Offers a quick start guide that walks through setting up reminders to break bad habits, get into a routine and stay motivated.
- Reminders are received through push notifications so they won’t be missed.
- Features several quality reminders such as "Wait 10 minutes before I order dessert."
- Offers the option to customize and create your own reminders
- Bonuses available include: a food cravings timer that challenges you to wait to see if the craving will pass; and the option to take, share and be reminded with motivational before and after photos.
- Includes direct links to YouTube videos and other online sources to perform quick exercises.
- For success, the user must be able to first identify danger zones, the best times to deliver a reminder and have the phone nearby at those times.
- Poor image quality and copious typographical errors detract from the professionalism of the app.
- Paid version includes an extensive diet journal and weight chart.
- The cartoonish appearance of the app may make it appealing to teens and preteens.
My Diet Coach acts as a pocket full of reminders. It may be useful as a supplement to nutrition counseling with a registered dietitian or as a motivational tool for those who have already identified their problem areas.