Price and Platform
Free; available via Apple App store and Android/Google Play
5 out of 5 stars
Synopsis of the App
Seafood Watch is a digital pocket guide to ocean-friendly seafood and sushi. The app provides up-to-date recommendations for sustainable seafood. This newest version of the app introduces Project Fish Map which allows users to share restaurants and markets where they’ve discovered and enjoyed sustainable seafood.
- Clean, attractive and easy-to-use design
- Search for seafood quickly and easily by common market name or use a quick guide for sustainable choices in your region, sushi or choices from the “super green list: seafood that’s good for you and the ocean.”
- Sorts seafood by sustainability rankings: Best Choice (green), Good Alternative (yellow) and Avoid (red)
- Suggests alternatives to seafood on the “Avoid” list
- Detailed summaries of each species, history, purchasing tips and links to nearby places to buy and enjoy the seafood
- Sushi guide lists fish by the Japanese and common market name making those sushi meals out a little less intimidating.
- App provides a glossary, seafood industry news, additional information on ocean issues and sustainable seafood recipe ideas.
- Regularly updated and supported by the well-respected Monterey Bay Aquarium
- Free. No advertisements.
- With GPS activated, the app sometimes defaults to the West Coast Guide – requiring a manual selection of the appropriate regional guide.
This one is a no brainer. Seafood Watch is a handy, at your fingertips guide that delivers immeasurable value. It is an essential app for anyone who loves seafood and cares about the environment.